Friday, August 6, 2010

Eating Edmonton Part 2: In which my hopes were dashed a little


My cousin Rebecca works at Chili's in Edmonton. She told me that the restaurant boasts not one but FOUR different kinds of Ceasars! Imagine my excitment! Caesar-topia! Clamato Heaven! Clam-halla! (OK that last one was atrocious, I apologize to any vikings reading this blog. Please don't gore me with your helmet). Unfortuately, It really only turned out to be 2 caesars, as:

"Traditional"
tasted like
"Great Canadian" ( horse radish added & a jalepeno slice )
which in turn tasted remarkably like
"Top Shelf Caeser" ( made with grey goose, horseradish added and olives in addition to the jalepeno slice and a pickled asparagus)
the only one that stood out was the
"Southwest" ( cajun spice rim and chipotle tobasco instead of regular tobasco )
The latter tasted a bit like BBQ sauce. Truly an Alberta original

So you see, aside from garnishes and brand of vodka used, the top 3 were basically the same. The horseradish in the Great Canadian and the Top Shelf was barely discernable, not enough to add any real variety. THEY WERE, however, all very scrumptious, though the southwest may be a bit of an acquired taste. Nice try Chili's, but if you really want to be unique how about mixing it up a little? Maybe some chili infused vodka? An Asian inspired Caesar with Kimchi as a garnish? A "hangover buster", featuring pickle juice?? Want to hire me as a Caesar mixologist?? If so my phone number is 613.....

No comments:

Post a Comment